Artificial Sweeteners (e.g. Asulfame, Nutra-Sweet)
- Condiments contain high amounts of sugar.
- Don’t drink carbonated soft drinks.
- Read food labels to make sure your food doesn’t contain added sugar.
- Sugar-free ‘diet’ drinks feed you Candida.
- Use Stevia or Xylitol instead of Calorie-free artificial sweeteners to avoid immune system damage
||WineSpiritsLiquorsBeer / Cider
- Alcohol is high in sugar.
- Alcohol also puts stress on your organs and immune system.
- Candida thrives when a diet contains alcohol.
|GRAINS & GLUTINOUS FOODS
||Anything made with wheat, rye, oats or barley, e.g. white bread, rye bread, pasta Spelt productsCorn and corn byproducts
- Often Candida sufferers are sensitive to Glutens.
- By cutting gluten out you let your immune system recover.
- Manufactured corn products like popcorn are highly contaminated with toxic fungi spores.
- Avoid refined carbs like white rice which raise the blood sugar quickly.
||Fresh FruitDried FruitCanned FruitFruit Juice
- The high sugar content in fruit feeds Candida.
- Some fruits contain mold.
- Small amounts of lemon are okay.
- Low sugar fruits are okay once you reach the reintroduction diet.
All Squash (except zucchini)
- Although these are nutritious they should be avoided until the Candida overgrowth is gone.
- Once you begin the reintroduction diet add them one at a time in small portions.
||All pork products. Cured meats like salami, pepperoni, pastrami and hot dogsProcessed meats like lunch meat, bacon and spamSmoked or vacuum packed meats
- Pork cells contain retroviruses that survive cooking and may be harmful for those with a weakened digestive system.
- Processed meats like hot dogs are loaded with dextrose nitrates, sulphates and sugars.
||All fish except for sockeye salmon and sardine. All shellfish
- Shellfish and most fish contain high levels of heavy metals and toxins. These will suppress your immune system.
- Farm raised salmon is originally a grey color, but it is colored with chemicals to appeal to consumers. Studies have shown farmed salmon (like most farmed fish) contain high levels of PCBs, mercury and other carcinogenic agents. Additionally, these fish are raised in crowded water containing their own waste, chemicals and antibiotics.
- All dairy should be avoided except ghee, butter, kefir and yogurt.
- Sheep and goats milk products should be avoided.
- Milk contains sugar so should be avoided. The fermentaion process in yogurt and Kefir convert the sugar so these are okay.
- For those without a dairy intolerance, small amounts for Goats cheese and mozzarella can be reintroduced.
|ADDITIVES & PRESERVATIVES
||Citric AcidAny chemical additives or preservatives
- The manufactured, additive form of citric acid is derived from yeasts. However the natural form, as found in lemons and limes, is okay on the diet).
- Chemicals can unbalance the pH level in your gut.
- Citric acid is common in tinned tomatoes.
- Eat organic as much as possible to limit your exposure to steroid, antibiotics, additives and preservatives.
||CoffeeBlack & Green TeaDiet & Regular Soft drinksEnergy drinksSports DrinksMalted Drinks (e.g. Ovaltine, Horlicks, Caro)
Fruit Juices (fresh or packaged)
- Caffeine spikes your blood sugar and nourishes the Candida overgrowth. It also causes stress on your adrenal glands, weakening your immune system.
- All coffee contains mold, one of the most important foods to avoid if you have a Candida overgrowth.
- Taurine in energy drinks also stresses adrenal glands.
- Decaf tea and coffee still contain low levels of caffine.
- Coconut oil has antinfungal properties, but coconut water has a too higher sugar content.
- These varieties of nut harbour high levels of fungal micro-organisms and toxins .
||Beans and other legumesTofuSoy cheeseSoy milkAll Soy productsCarob PowderCocoa Powder
- Beans and legumes take too long to digest and contain carbohydrates. They can be reintroduced after the detox and diet plan are complete.
- All soy products should be avoided. Soya is highly processed, fermented and is normally genetically modified.
- Research is beginning to show that GM foods may inhibit the immune system.
- Avoid all cocoa powder due to the caffeine content.
|MUSHROOMS / MOLDS
- Eating fungi while suffering from Candidasis can cause inflammation in the gut and joints.
- Mushrooms may harbour other yeasts and fungus.
- Certain fungi have been sound to have immune boosting properties. Good examples are Reishi, Shitake and Maitake
||KetchupMayonnaiseRegular MustardRelishHorseradishSoy sauce
Braggs Liquid Aminos
- Most bought condiments contain hidden sugar.
- For an alternative salad dressing, try simple olive oil and lemon juice dressing or chopped fresh herbs.
- Organic coconut aminos should be used instead of soy.
- Look out for condiments that contain distilled vinegar as it should be avoided. Try making your own with apple cider vinegar instead.
||All vinegars, except for Apple Cider Vinegar
- Vinegar is a by product of a yeast culture. It pH level unbalances the stomach acidic environment.
- Use apple cider vinegar as it actually fights yeast overgrowth.
|FATS AND OILS
||Peanut oilCottonseed oilCorn oilCanola oilSoy oilMargarine
- Peanut, Cottonseed, Corn and Canola oil have mold contamination.
- Most soy beans used in soy oil are GMO.
- Margarine/Shortening contain toxic trans fats.